Saturday, August 01, 2015

The Incredible Growing Kid

It's funny, I look at my kids and do see any big changes in them most of the time. I mean, I'm aware that Ryan is all arms and legs somehow, but he's been like that for so long that it doesn't even register. Wesley just seems to stay the same though.

At least I thought he did.

This morning I was in his room putting something away when he came in to get dressed. He grabbed a pair of shorts out of his closet and proceeded to suck his stomach in and hold his breath to get them buttoned and zipped.

"Wesley, I think those shorts are too small for you."

Wesley heaved a sigh and rolled his eyes (have I mentioned he's a 14 year old in a 9 year old's body?) and said, "No, Mom. They're fine."

"Wesley, you should not have to suck in your stomach like that to get your pants fastened. Let me look at the waist." Yes, I sounded exactly like a mom there.

He begrudgingly held his t-shirt up so I could see the waist of his shorts digging into his skin quite severely.

"See! They're fine!" he insisted.

"No, they aren't! They are too small. You need to put on a pair that fits."

To make a long story short, you can just repeat the above conversation no less than fives times. Because that's about when I discovered that only two pairs of shorts that Wesley owns actually fit him anymore. And his t-shirt situation wasn't much better.

I would swear that all these clothes fit him two weeks ago, but not now.  So we wound up scrapping our zoo plans and did some emergency shopping instead. And may I just tell you that clothes shopping with a preteen boy who was going to have to try things on so we bought the wrong size, was no fun at all. Like in "Remember the Titans" - zero fun, sir.

But we did get him clothes that fit, and with any luck, they'll continue to fit for awhile. And if not, well, Ryan will get them next.  But my wallet does not like these emergency shopping sprees.


No comments: