Ryan forgot his lunch box yesterday. Despite the fact that I saw him get it out of the refrigerator and put an ice pack in it, he somehow managed to get to school without it. Of course, there is no way he would notice this before arriving at school. When he forgets something he always discovers it when he is just about to exit the car and then I see him walking off on the verge of tears.
Usually I am a mean mom and tell him that he'll just have do without. In fact, yesterday I told him he would just have to get a school lunch, even it was something he didn't like. But there must have a soft spot in this Grinch-y mom's heart because after I dropped the kids off, I drove back home to get his lunchbox.
I have to admit, I was feeling pretty great as I handed his forgotten lunchbox to him on the playground. "I am super mom!" I thought. But he didn't seem as happy as I thought he'd be.
Last night over dinner I was kidding him about me having to take his lunch box to school.
"Who's the best mom in the world for bringing you your lunch?" I asked.
"I guess you are, " Ryan sighed. "But I kind of wish you wouldn't have now because they had something I really liked for hot lunch."
Parenthood - you just can't win.
No comments:
Post a Comment