I am usually pretty good at understanding things that kids say. I mean, I have worked with kids in some way, shape or form for over 20 years. I was a babysitter, did some classroom work as an undergraduate, worked in the toddler room of a childcare center, been a children's librarian and have kiddos of my own. I think those are pretty good qualifications.
But every now and then one of my children says something that I just don't understand at all. Usually it's Ryan. It's not uncommon for Duane and I to listen to something Ryan is saying, then turn to each other and ask, "Was that English?" We've even asked Wesley to translate for us now and then, but that's a mixed bag because if Wesley doesn't understand his little brother he'll just make something up.
Last night I got a real stumper from Wesley.
"Mom, do we have any poms?" he asked.
"Poms?" I repeated.
"Yeah. Poms," he said.
"I don't think I know what a 'pom' is," I told him while figuratively scratching my head.
Wesley started to get frustrated with me. "Yes you do! A pom! A POM!"
I decided to try another tactic. "Where did you hear about poms? At school?"
"Yes, but here too,"he sighed. "I just want to know if we have any poms!"
Things were going downhill quickly, so I asked, "What can you tell me about poms? Can you describe it for me?"
After another huge sigh at his apparently stupid mother, Wesley elaborated, "They are like little stories and sometimes they rhyme and sometimes they don't."
The light bulb suddenly went on! "Oh POEMS!!" I said happily.
"Yes!" Wesley answered, glad that I suddenly came to my senses.
Well poetry books I can handle. I didn't have any kids poetry books at home (I know, bad librarian mommy) so I promised I would pick up a couple at work today. I chose one that was full of animal poems that are simple enough for him to read on his own and one large volume that we can work through together.
Hopefully he'll like my choices and we can keep reading 'poms' together!
No comments:
Post a Comment