Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Attached



Ryan and I had some good mommy/boy quality time last week while I was recovering from surgery. We hung out every single day - frequently with Grandma H. in case I started to wear out. We didn't really do much, but it was so nice to be together.

I thought it might be rough when I started back to work this week, so I was surprised when Ryan hopped right into Grandpa P.'s car without a word of complaint yesterday. "Great!" I figured. "No problem at all. Guess he'll be fine."

Guess I counted my chickens before they hatched.

This morning we dropped Wesley off at school and headed to Grandma and Grandpa H.'s house. As we neared her neighborhood, Ryan said, "Mommy? You stay with me today?"

"No, Ryan," I said. "I have to go to work."

Ryan wasn't overly pleased about it, but didn't whine too much. Then we pulled into the driveway and he said, "Mommy, I want you here with me." Again, I told him I couldn't stay because I had to go to work. Again, some whining, but not too much.

But when it was time for me to actually walk out of Grandma and Grandpa's house and head to work, Ryan had a meltdown. Not really screaming (thank goodness) but clinging to me and climbing me and asking me to stay. Oh, it broke my heart into a million little pieces.  I know he was fine as soon as I left, but it hurts so much to leave on mornings like that.

No comments: