Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Where There's Smoke

I am anticipating some nightmares in Wesley's near future. We had a pretty good view of a couple houses engulfed in flames as we headed up the freeway to Grandma and Grandpa's this morning. Of course, the houses were on Wesley's side of the van so he got a really good view. His bottom lip popped out and he started making a small whining noise.

Wesley: Mom? Did you see those houses with fire on them?

Mommy: Yes Wesley. But the firefighters will be there to put the fire out.

Wesley: That was Fluffy and Sammy's house.

Mommy: Well, I'm sure they knew to get out of the house and go someplace safe.

Wesley: Yeah, they did. How do the firefighters know which house to go to.

Mommy: When you need a firefighter, or a police officer or an ambulance, you call 911 on the phone.

Wesley (after a moment of silence): Did you pack your phone?

Mommy: Yes, it's in my purse.

Wesley: Can you call 119?

I got my phone out and (since I had seen firetrucks at the houses) pretended to dial 911 and said, "Yes, I'd like to report an emergency. There are two houses on fire by the freeway and we need some firefighters to come right away." That seemed to satisfy Wesley - at least until we got closer to Grandma and Grandpa's and he saw a field covered in fog.

Wesley: Mommy! That place is on fire too!!!

I explained that it was just fog and that seemed to do the trick, but I could tell his mind was still on the fire when I picked him up this evening. He told me that Fluffy and Sammy had gotten hurt and police had taken them to the hospital to get better. I guess it was a teachable moment, but I still wish he hadn't seen it. I foresee a child in the big red bed tonight.

No comments: