Wednesday, June 03, 2009

What a Way to Return

I spent yesterday at the hospital, waiting for my mom to have her knee surgery. It wasn't a surprise by any means. We've known for weeks that yesterday would be the big day, but it was still a little surreal.

Wesley didn't know anything about the surgery until yesterday. We figured he wouldn't understand what was going on anyway, but even more so, how do you tell a three-year-old that one of his favorite people won't be able to see him much this summer because she'll be recovering. I opted to just tell him that Grandma has going to the hospital because her knee hurts very badly and the doctor was going to fix it. Wesley said, "It hurts really bad? Poor Grandma!"

Grandma has asked me not to bring the boys to the hospital because she doesn't want them to see her laid up in the bed. Of course I'm going to respect her request. It only makes me a little sad because that means I can't go see her until Duane gets home this evening. That's extra tough for me because my mom is one of my best friends. I'm so used to spending time with her and talking to her on the phone all the time. I want to be with her while she's going through this because I know she wouldn't leave my side if I was in her position.

In other "what a way to return news" we discovered yesterday that Cathy (my pseudo-sister and one of our babysitters) is about 80% positive she'll have a job as soon as next week. I'm thrilled for Cathy since she's been looking for something for quite a while, but the selfish part of me is freaking out! That's 2 days a week we won't have any kind of sitter and I have no idea what we're going to do. I'm trying not to think about it unless it actually comes to pass, but just in case, can anyone in the Central OH area recommend a good sitter, who isn't too expensive and would be willing to taking a 10 month old and a 3 year old for two days a week?

1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

My sitter has openings right now. I have no idea what she'd charge for 2 days. She's had 8 responses to her craigslist ad this week, so if you're interested, let me know asap and I'll get you her info.