Monday, June 01, 2009

NYC Recap

I'm back from 5 whirlwind days in NYC. WOW! I am totally beat! But I do need to give you all the highlights, so here goes.

Wednesday:
  • arrived in NYC and was completely overwhelmed by Times Square.
  • discovered Ryan took his first steps after I left.
  • walked around a bit and ate lunch at 5 Napkin Burger. Very good burgers and fries and very good looking waiters.
  • walked around some more.
  • eat a bite of dinner at Ruby Foo's. We had dim sum and it was DELICIOUS.
  • saw Mamma Mia at the Winter Garden Theater. Pretty much had the soundtrack stuck in my head the rest of the time I was in NYC.
Thursday:
  • got up early and caught a cab to Brooklyn for the SLJ Day of Dialog. I had a grumpy cab driver, but the day of conference sessions was great.
  • Met Elizabeth Bird from A Fuse #8 Production, and Laura Lutz of Pinot and Prose. They are kidslitosphere goddesses in my book!!!
  • bummed a ride with two librarians I met. We drove through part of Brooklyn and Queens, then they got me on the subway and told me which stop to get off at.
  • had just enough time to change clothes before walking up to Columbus Circle and attend a dinner for librarians, given by the American Book Publishers. The food was average at best, but the speakers were fun. They loaded us down with books, so we took a cab back to the hotel.

Friday:

  • off to the convention center. Spent the day talking to publishers and vendors. Picked up Advanced Readers Copies (ARCs) of Catching Fire (Collins), and Fire (Cashore). Got two books autographed for Wesley.
  • Met Laini Taylor (artist, author and blogger) in person!!!!! Easily the best part of my day. She was so sweet! I immediately called one of my friends to share the news.
  • had a cocktail with Sara and we stumbled across Times Square to an amazing restaurant a few blocks away. Nizza was probably the best food I ate in NYC. If it was in Columbus, I'd eat there at least weekly.
  • wandered around some more and peeked in shops. Saw Hari Krishna dancing and a guy selling "Obama Condoms" since the president was dining in Times Square that night.
  • finished off with dessert in the hotel bar

Saturday:

  • back to the convention center. Went to sessions on authors creating an online presence (who has done it well), YA authors book buzz, graphic novels for libraries, what book reviews will look like in the next year. All neat stuff.
  • stood in line to get a book autographed by the lovely Laini Taylor and her adorable and talented husband, Jim DiBartolo. Again, easily the highlight of my day.
  • shipped 2 big boxes of stuff back to the library.
  • took the subway to Greenwich Village for a reception given by a vendor who was trying to kiss up to me and Sara.
  • went to The Strand Bookstore. Heaven.
  • walked to NYU and Washington Square Park
  • limped back to the subway after my back started hurting so bad I was practically in tears.
  • took some advil and a nap
  • at 9:00 went to Juniors for comfort food (grilled cheese, fries and red velvet cake).

Sunday

  • worked with Sara on what our Board Presentation about the trip will cover
  • took subway to Central Park
  • walked through the park to get the Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • after spending some time at the Met, sat on the steps in the sun and ate a hot dog from a street vendor.
  • walked down Fifth Ave. to get back to our hotel (heck of a walk). Saw the Plaza Hotel, Trump Tower, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Tiffany's, NBC Studios, a parade and a bunch of things I probably forgot.
  • back to the hotel to pack
  • dinner at a great little Irish pub on restaurant row
  • early to bed and early to rise.

So that's my trip in a nutshell. It was crazy, but I felt like a learned so much at BEA. I'm so glad to be home though. Ryan took a few steps for me as soon as I got back to the house! Look out world, here he comes.

No comments: