The day started off calmly, but quickly picked up pace as I headed to work to sit in a dunk tank, Wesley went to Grandma and Grandpa H.'s for a few hours and a haircut, and Duane went to Aunt Susan's parents to pick up some toys they were giving Wesley. We figured we'd do all the stuff we needed to do, then we'd meet up with Kate, Colin, Laura and Elaina for a much anticipated playdate.
By the time I dripped out of work, our playdate was down two people. No problem - still sounds like a ton of fun. Kate and I decided I should pick up Wesley, go home and get pulled together, then give her a call and we'd either head to the park or hang out at their house. When I got to Grandma's to get Wesley, he was nine kinds of ornery. In fact, he was so awful while I was trying to put his shoes on him, that I had to break out the serious mommy voice. He immediately stopped acting like a beaster and tears filled his eyes. He did not utter another word until I was walking him in the car and he told Grandma "Have to leave now." Darn tootin!
Turns out he was a beaster because the poor little dude was completely exhausted and was fast asleep before we had even driven a mile.
Here's where the plans began to fall apart. Wesley was OUT! I carried him into the house, put him on the couch and heard him snore. I called Kate and told her that at Wesley's current snore volume he could easily be asleep for several hours. Since Colin is less than a year older than Wesley, Kate totally understood. We decided to just play it by ear since it was 4:00. At 5:45 I had Duane call Kate (since I was pinned by a sleeping toddler and a sleeping cat) and tell her we'd have to back out of plans. Even if Wesley woke up right then, it would take us nearly an hour to get ready and get to her house. Wesley ended up sleeping until a little after 6:30.
So did we have a nice quiet evening at home - just the three of us? NO!! While we were deciding what to do for dinner, Aunt Susan called to see how Wesley liked his new toys (especially the majorly cool train table). Since Wesley had not yet seen the toys and they were given to us by her parents, we asked if she and Uncle Kirk wanted to come over. They said yes and offered to bring wings. Since Kirk and Susan get along so well with Ray and Krystal, we called them, ordered some pizza and played dominoes.
The unveiling of Wesley's new toys was terrific!! Mimi and John gave us an incredible train table, a mat with a map on it to drive cars on (and the cars to go with it), some toddler golf clubs and ball, some dinosaurs and more. Wesley walked into the room and literally screamed "YAY!! TOYS!!!" like he doesn't have any at home. He was one happy camper and even kissed each of the dinosaurs! We couldn't get him out of that room to go back downstairs. We ended up moving the monitor in there so we could listen to him while the adults sat in the dining room. I know we are going to get a ton of use out of those new toys. Thanks Mimi and John!! That was incredibly sweet of you!

Pushing the train across the bridge

Uncle Kirk lends a hand

No comments:
Post a Comment