Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Baby OCD

Is 16 months too young to start exhibiting signs of OCD? Wesley gets onto something and becomes obsessed with it. Lately it has been a new game that we play called "Round He Goes." Basically, I sit in the middle of the floor and chant "Round and round and round he goes. Where he stops nobody knows" while clapping the beat. Wesley runs around me in a circle giggling the whole time. He will play this game for a good 20 minutes before it starts to get old. But if I stop clapping, he'll stop running, grab my hands and force them apart and together in a clapping motion. If I'm not clapping, he's not running. A little OCD?

Wesley has another motion he had to repeat tonight. Wesley got to watch a Dora DVD while Duane started dinner. When the DVD was over, Wesley grabbed Duane by the finger and led to the television chanting "dee dee dee" (Wesley speak for DVD). He must have done it ten times before giving up and seeing if Mommy was an easier touch. I wasn't. After about a dozen more tries, Wesley took me to the television one more time. He pointed to the television and said "No." It finally sunk in and Mommy and Daddy are both still sane.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I've thought Harper, now two, had OCD symptoms from a very young age. Her obsessions have extended to times when she insisted that every single door in our house be closed. She's also pretty heavily disturbed by cups which are not on coasters. That's not even normal toddler OCD, that's adult strength! I seriously debate whether we need to talk to the doctor about it. It makes me laugh, then again. . .