Sunday, December 17, 2006

Willful!

There is a very fine line between "independent" and "willful." Wesley has crossed that line several times today. If you have met Wesley, you know he is normally a pretty easy going kid. He ususally has a smile on his face and a rather infectious giggle. He's always had an independent streak and definately wants to do things his own way, but it hasn't been too much of a problem. However, the word "no" is coming out of Mommy and Daddy's mouths more often and Wesley doesn't like it one little bit.

Today was the family Christmas party. Wesley did really well for most of it. There were lots of kids there and the weather is still unseasonably warm, so the kids were all running in and out of the building. I didn't want Wesley to go outside unless Duane or I were with him, but if he was reaching for the door handle and I said "no," he would look at me crossly and whine/cry for a minute before trying it again. Taking him away from the door didn't work too well either, because he'd make a beeline for it as soon as we put him on the ground. We did go outside a few times, but tried very hard not to make it a response to his whining. I will admit that I took him outside when he toddled across the room, grabbed my finger and pulled me to the door, but that was so cute - who wouldn't have taken him!?!

Now we are playing battle of the wills over a Sesame Beginnings DVD. We have gotten in the possibly bad habit of letting him watch one every night (they are just as powerful as Dora.) But now he thinks that as soon as Noggin goes off the air at 6:00 he needs a DVD immediately! He points at the TV and whines. Points to the DVDs and whines. Goes over to the DVD player and presses the power button a few times just so we get the point. Mommy is being a toughie tonight though and I don't want him watching one until 7:30. Then when it's over we'll start our bedtime routine. Wesley is currently laying down on a pillow in front of the DVD player, just so we'll get his subtle point. A few minutes ago he brought us the phone. We're pretty sure he was asking us to call a grandparent so he could tell them how unfair his parents were being. Must be tough being a toddler!

1 comment:

Laura said...

So funny and oh, so familiar ! I like that you have chosen to use the word "willful" to describe Wesley's one-year-old-independence. I'll have to remember that one - that's good !

It won't be long, he'll see that his mom can be pretty willful too !

- Laura