Thursday, December 14, 2006

Can I Go Back on Vacation?

Yesterday was some kind of day at work - exhausting!!! I like my job, but yesterday I would have traded places with someone in a heartbeat. All I did all day long was stress eat. My poor candy jar will never be the same.

7:00AM - Leave the house to drop Wesley at Grandma H.'s

7:45AM- Early morning staff meeting. Not too terrible because it's the one where raises are announced and at least they feed us.

9:10AM - Back to Grandma H.'s for a little snuggle time with the boy. Too bad he didn't want to be snuggled.

10:15AM - Drive back downtown to particiate in a focus group of youth librarians. This was a wonderful experience and I am so glad I had the opportunity to do it!

1:40PM - Drive back to work to "start" my day. I had approximately 1 hour of time to spend with my new employee before I had another meeting to attend.

2:40PM- Drive to NWL for a meeting with the architects working on our redesign.

3:45 - Drive back to my library for another hour of training with my new employee. The other people in my department were taking such good care of her though, that I let them continue and I caught up on emails.

5:00PM - Drive somewhere (surprised?) to pick up dinner

6:00-9:00PM - Try to get some actual work done, but manage to fail miserably and spend the evening catching up with co-workers who I've barely seen all week.

9:00PM - My night to be loser in charge. I spend the next 15 mintues locking up the building and making sure everyone is out.

9:15PM - Back in the car to drive home. Thank goodness I have a good book to listen to!

9:30PM - Home at last! Have a snack and veg out on the couch with Duane. Somehow I resist the urge to take Wesley out of his crib and put him in bed with me so I can just cuddle him. I do slip into his room and rub his back a few times.

11:00PM - Bedtime (finally) but I had weird dreams about being in charge of the building and no one would leave. Also had bizarre dream of doing a play at a school about Strawberry Shortcake.

Now it's 8:30 and I should probably be getting Wesley's breakfast ready so he can eat, I can get us dressed and his diaper bag packed. We'll drive out to Aunt Melissa's and then I'll head to work where I have no meetings, no training and am looking forward to having some time to focus on the the day to day tasks of my job. Sure, I'll still be eating a meal at the Cafe Hyundai and dinner will most likely consist of a microwave meal, but it seems so low stress compared to yesterday. Just today and tomorrow and I can spend the weekend frantically getting ready for Christmas. Can I just have a few more hours in each day please?

No comments: