Sunday, October 12, 2014

Truly Frightening

Last night Aunt Susan and I took the kids to All Hallows Eve at the Ohio Historical Center. For the most part it was a lot of fun, and the many pictures below will show that, but I have to tell you the scary part too.

No, I didn't lose one of my kids there. To be honest, I think that would have been easier. There were a few minutes I was truly afraid that one of my children was going to be taken from me. Not abducted, but taken from me by security.

Let me explain.

Wesley and Ryan each wanted a hot chocolate to drink last night, so Aunt Susan and I hooked them up. Despite warnings, Wesley took a big sip of his hot chocolate as soon as it was handed to him - and this was VERY hot chocolate. I think he burnt his tongue and throat a bit, but when he reacted, he splashed some on his hand and then dropped the entire cup on the ground and burst into tears. Aunt Susan stuck his hand in a cup of water right away and when he pulled it out, there wasn't even a small red mark - thank you, Aunt Sus!

However, we could not calm Wesley down. All he would do was cry and cry and cry.  He wouldn't talk to us, and just sat on the ground with his face buried in his arms. Aunt Susan got him another hot chocolate (and added a bunch of cold water to it) but we couldn't get him to take a sip or anything.  After more than five minutes of this, I took Wesley aside to talk to him and try to help him get under control again.

As I was holding on his arm, trying to get him to take some deep breaths with me, a security guard and a costumed character approached us. They ignored me and spoke only to Wesley, "What seems to be the matter, young man. Do you need some assistance from either of us?"

A warning light went off in my head. I've been trained in child safety and Code Adam procedures. These gentlemen weren't talking to me, they were talking to Wesley. They maneuvered themselves expertly between me and Wesley. "Oh my gosh!," I thought. "They think I am either hurting him, about to hurt him, or trying to abduct him."

"He spilled his hot chocolate on his hand and burned himself," I heard myself say. "We're just trying to get calmed down."

They turned to Wesley, "Can we see your hand?"  Wesley showed it to them, and, like I said, there was no mark on it. I couldn't decide if that was good or bad in this situation.

"Well, I don't see any marks on it, young man. That's good," said the costumed character.

"It's NOT MY HAND!" Wesley hollered.

"Crap!" I thought. "What's he going to say?"

"It's my throat! I burned it!" he cried, with tears continuing down his cheeks.

I have to admit, I breathed a sigh of relief. Even more so when the security guard and character visibly relaxed and told Wesley to drink a nice cool cup of water to make it feel better.

So that was my Halloween horror story. Luckily we met up with some friends and the rest of the night went really well. I think Wesley forgot all about it and just enjoyed himself the rest of the night.

Me with my boys

Hanging with Aunt Susan


Wesley as Oogie Boogie

Stupid Human Tricks



It's a wonder Ryan didn't lose his pants in this


Ryan digging a grave

Wesley watching the grave digging

Tug of war with a school friend
 
Aunt Susan and her mysterious masked man

Who will you marry? Someone whose name begins with the letter you stick the pin in. Ryan did NOT get the letter M.

And Wesley did not get the letter L

Aunt Susan and Wesley waiting for the Headless Horseman

Mommy and Ryan

Wesley and his buddies J and B.

No comments: