Thursday, June 19, 2014

What Happened to My Little Boy?

When I first had kids someone told me that the days would be long, but the years would fly by. Through endless diaper changes, bottles, potty training, and repeated viewings of Dora the Explorer I thought that person was wrong, but lately it has occurred to me how very right they were.

Wesley would still be content to let us do everything for him. In fact, sometimes it feels like he's eight going on two, but I see him coming into his own. This week alone he has gone swimming without a family member with him. He has made a friend whom I don't know at all and I watched him and this new friend fist bump to say goodbye yesterday.it was such a big boy moment.

Then there's my little Ryguy.  Ryan, who is at that in between age of five, but almost six. He's really startling the line between little kid and big kid right now. He's done with kindergarten so he's too big for the little kid space at COSI, but he isn't yet six so he's too young for day camp and canoe trips. He can go on some thrill rides, but not the big ones he really craves. He's so independent, but still wants to snuggle and hold my hand.  I look at him and see all arms and legs and possibility and I wonder where my little boy went.

I'm trying to savor this week with Ryan because I don't know when I'll have another week of just the two of us. Is it possible that this is the last one? 

No comments: