Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Back in the Real World

Even though Duane and I were only gone for a few days (see previous posts for pictures if you want) it's been a bit of adjustment coming back. And I don't just mean the time change.It was wonderful being with Cheryl and her family again. Even though we hadn't seen them in quite a while, it all just clicked into place and was so natural doing everything together. I miss them all more than I thought I would after a visit.

This past winter was really rough on me and, as a result, I find I am craving warmth and sun more than I ever have in the past. The sun and sand and ocean did wonders for my spirit. I've even had a few people at work comment that I seem more relaxed since returning from California. But truth be told, I've been a little sad the past few days that I haven't been able to soak up the sunshine (darn Ohio rain) and bury my toes in the sand. I can totally see the appeal of the California weather.


I got completely spoiled with the food in California too. I ate seafood every single day because it was so fresh and less expensive than it is here. I have to admit, I'm kind of missing my shrimp and lobster and scallops. And I'm a little worried that Mexican food will forever be ruined for me because Casa Martin in Santa Monica and El Sombrero in Manhattan Beach were so amazingly good!  I'm pretty sure I spent a good 20 minutes yesterday daydreaming about the carnitas I ate.

Wesley got sick while we were gone - a combination of strep throat and pink eye. He's doing fine now, and Grandma & Grandpa took him to the doctor, but we're dealing with the medicine that he hates. I'm just glad he's better, although there is a little bit of guilt that I wasn't here with him when he was sick.

On the other hand, it was really nice to just be a couple and not "Mom and Dad" for a few days. We ate what we wanted, where we wanted, when we wanted. We didn't have to plan our time around the boys or break up any fights or..be parents. I was about 6 months pregnant with Wesley on our first wedding anniversary, so really, we haven't had a lot of time as a married couple that didn't involve kids.  In some ways, the trip was like a second honeymoon and it made me realize once again how much I love my husband and that every day I have with him is a gift.

The last couple of days at home have been a bit of catch up. There's laundry to do and we had to clean out the fridge. The bathroom needed cleaned and we desperately needed to go to the store. We dug leftovers out of the freezer to tide us over and had to add air to the car tires. We've had to send the boys to their rooms for fighting and cleaned cat puke off our bed.  It isn't glamorous here, but it's certainly nothing to complain about. Our life is good and just because we thoroughly enjoyed our time away doesn't mean it's not. It was nice to live the California dream for a few days, but I wouldn't trade our Ohio reality for anything.

No comments: