Saturday, June 21, 2014

Too Much Excitement

It's barely nine o'clock on a summer Saturday night and my children are showered, in their pajamas and in their rooms. Not because they want to be, but because they need to be. We've had an evening where they couldn't stand to be around each other, but they couldn't leave each other alone. There was teasing, hitting, picking on, mocking and tears - which means time in their rooms so Mommy doesn't completely snap.

Granted, they've had a very busy day. A couple of their friends came over for the morning - arriving for a doughnut breakfast and staying until after lunch. That's a pretty awesome start to the day, but it's also a lot of excitement that they aren't used to.

Later this afternoon we headed to an art festival up the street. And yes, I threatened my kids with taking a dollar of their allowance each time they whined, so I could please have a nice afternoon. The threat (and a few well timed treats) worked quite well and I had a really good time time. Plus I got a REALLY nice new knife.  So nice that we bought a loaf of bread and drove to Grandma and Grandpa H.'s to show them how awesome it worked.

We had a nice dinner, and then the boys' behavior went to heck in a hand basket. Things are much calmer with them in their rooms. Although apparently Ryan has decided to write out his feelings in his new secret diary. Of course, he doesn't realize that if he tells us exactly what it looks like and asks to spell half the words he's using, it really isn't that much of a secret.

So now Duane and I are watching a tv movie and enjoying the relative peace and quiet.

No comments: