Sunday, May 05, 2013

Weekend Mommy Guilt

I have noticed that when I work a full weekend, my kids get the short end of the stick. I don't mean just because I don't get to spend much time with them, although that's part of it. When I work a full weekend I tend to be a bit testy at home. I don't want to do much on Sunday morning because I have to go to work and I am tired when I get home because it's more public service work than I generally do. I find myself snapping at the kids and making mountains out of mole hills and not being the patient, kind mom I wish I was.

And then I spend the whole day away from the kids beating myself up for being a bad mom. Seriously, by the time I got to work today I had convinced myself that all I do is yell at my boys and that they deserve a better mommy than me. I convinced myself that I never spend any real time with them and the time I do spend with them is running errands and nagging instead of enjoying them. I convinced myself that they wish they had a different mommy - a better mommy. One who doesn't get tired and annoyed and who isn't sarcastic. One who saves every piece of artwork and always wants to play.

Did my boys get the short end of the stick with me? Are there mommy classes I can take? How can I stop feeling like I fail them daily?

No comments: