Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Getting Ready to Hit the Road

In a few short hours I'll be headed to NYC for my favorite book conference. I love Book Expo America with a passion and always come back equally exhausted and excited about all the new stuff coming out and meeting other librarians.  I'm not even all that intimidated by New York this time around because it will be my third trip there and I know our hotel, the conference center and even some some restaurants that I enjoy. I no longer feel like a complete fish out of water there.  Still, the truth is, part of me really dreads leaving.

This happens any time I travel anywhere without my family. No matter how much the boys drive me nuts sometimes, I would rather be with them and Duane than any place else on Earth. When I'm not with them, it's feels like I'm somehow incomplete. I miss them every second I'm gone.  The pathetic part is that I'm only going to be gone four nights. Four little nights. I'll be home by dinner on Saturday, but I'm still a little sad about leaving.

I managed not to cry when I dropped Wesley off at school this morning, but I did tell him I love him about a dozen times and insisted on a hand squeeze as he hopped out of the car. The next time I see him he won't be in first grade any more! I still have some time with Ryan this morning, but I'm sure I'll cover him with hugs when I get to the airport.


I was the clingiest wife ever last night too. I swear, Duane must have thought I was going to smother him in his sleep.  You'd think I've never gone any place without them before!

I'll try to update a little from NYC, but if I don't get a chance, I'll talk to you all on Saturday!

No comments: