The second day of school seems to have gone as well as the first. Wesley woke up this morning exclaiming, "I get to go to school again!?" Now that's excitement!
As we got ready for the day, Wesley shared his brand new school vocabulary with me. It's a book bag, not a backpack. When you bring your lunch you are a packer, if you buy it's called hot lunch. Kids that get picked up are walkers and those that ride the bus are bussers. The things Mommy needs to learn!
My plan for today was to park the car and then Ryan and I would walk Wesley into the gym, which is where he will need to go until the bell rings. You know what they say about making plans though. When I got about a block away from the school all I could see were buses and cars everywhere! I quickly discovered that the idea of walking Wesley into the building was a pipe dream.
"Wesley, I think you're going to have to walk in by yourself," I told him.
"Okay, Mom. You can just let me out here if you want," he replied.
I drove up to the drop off area and by the time I got out of the car and over to his side, Wesley was already hopping onto the sidewalk and giving his principal a big hug. I told her that Wesley might need a little direction getting to the gym and she assured me that the custodian was right inside the door to direct kids. I could see that he was and watched as Wesley hurried into the building with a big smile on his face and not even a backwards glance.
I didn't want to block the drop off area, so I hurried back around to the drivers side and got into the car, only be greeted by a near deafening wail. Ryan was screaming for his brother with tears running down his cheeks. Checking the clock, I saw we had nearly half an hour before Grandpa was picking Ryan up at the library and 45 minutes before I had to start my day.
"Hey buddy, do you want to go get a donut or some juice someplace?" I asked him.
"NO! Mommy, I so sad!" he cried.
I didn't know what to do, so I drove to the library (not even 10 minutes away) and decided Ryan and I would just go to the library. We'd hang out at my desk and he could play on the computer for a bit until Grandpa came to pick him up and it was time for me to be on the clock.
I think he was a little surprised to be at the library first thing in the morning, but he talked to my co-workers, played with his car and typed on the computer until Grandpa got there. And then the poor little guy didn't want to leave me. Of course he did just fine once he got in the car and they were driving away, but the new routine is proving a little rough for him. Poor guy.
No comments:
Post a Comment