Saturday, July 25, 2009

Happy Birthday Ryan

My sweet little baby boy turned ONE yesterday! How did that happen? Wesley's first year did not go nearly as fast as Ryan's first year did. I'm sure that's because I didn't have two children in the house to occupy my every waking moment.

We tried to have a pretty low key day yesterday. Ryan had a doctor appointment -which couldn't have come at a better time because he's been holding and pulling on his ears. I was prepared for the diagnosis of a double ear infection, but it never came. In fact, the doctor said Ryan's ears looked fantastic and the holding and pulling was probably just something new he learned. Great. My kid has learned to fake an ear infection.

We got Ryan's "vitals" too. He weighs in at a whopping 20 pounds and 6 oz. which puts him in the 15th percentile for weight. As long as he keeps gaining weight the doctor isn't worried, but I don't understand how a kid who eats the sheer volume of food Ryan does could only be in the 15th percentile for weight. Of course, part of it could be that he is 30 3/4 inches tall - which is in the 80th percentile. Tall and skinny I guess. Oh, to have that problem!

We also learned that Ryan is a "good bleeder," although I'm not sure that bodes well for our future. Ryan had to have a blood draw to test for lead (because our house is over 100 years old) and he had no trouble filling up the circles with blood. Other than the ear splitting screaming that is. Plus he had three shots. Yeah, happy birthday, kid. He kept pulling the band aids off his finger too.

Once we left the torture chamber (the doctor's office) I took the boys to McDonald's for lunch. I guess there's nothing like watching your little brother get shots to get your appetite going because Wesley ate every single crumb of his Happy Meal and even asked for more! Wesley NEVER eats that much in a single sitting. Ryan tried pretty hard to keep up with his brother and he ate an entire cheeseburger (well, all the meat and half the bun). I was so impressed that I bought us all a sundae to share. That might have been a bad idea because Wesley enjoyed it so much, he might want a sundae every time now.

We made a run to the grocery store and then spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing at home. Ryan would not take a nap - which, added to the shots, made for a very cranky baby. Kirk and Susan came over for dinner and by the time they arrived Ryan was in the midst of a full blown fit. Aunt Sus has a magic touch though and had him settled down in almost no time.

We didn't do a party last night, in fact, we spent most of the evening preparing for Ryan's parties tonight and tomorrow, but we did indulge in a birthday cupcake.
After dinner and cupcakes, Duane worked on creating Ryan's cake for his first party tonight. Wesley chose the cake design and the colors. I thought it might make him a little less jealous about all the attention Ryan will be getting all weekend, but I don't really think it's going to work. He was a beast about Ryan's new stuffed Mickey Mouse. Wesley kept hiding it and knocking it out of my hand when I was trying to play with Ryan. And check out the face he made behind me when Aunt Susan was trying to take a picture of us!

Here's hoping the party goes smoothly. I'll let you know all about it!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Is it sad that my 7 month old weighs more than your 1 year old? Owen's the opposite of tall and skinny Ryan...he's short and stout.