Monday, July 14, 2014

First Day of VBS

Today was our first day of VBS. Unfortunately, Duane was not able to take the time off to help this year, so it's just me and boys getting up even earlier than we do on a normal day.  Wesley was so excited about VBS that he jumped out of bed as soon as I woke him up. He thew on his clothes and even got in the car ten minutes before it was time to leave! 

Ryan was a whole different story. He insisted that he had only gotten three hours of sleep, despite having been in bed for ten hours. He did not want to get dressed and flat out refused to eat any kind of breakfast. So this is pretty much how our day of VBS started:

Yes, that's Ryan curled up under a chair in the church library saying "I'm glad I'm small."
 Luckily the child care person was very understanding and she got Ryan a granola bar part way through the morning when his hunger pangs got the best of him.

The Weird Animal VBS background



I spent the morning doing the preschool Bible story. I really think it's my favorite job at VBS and the classes this year are much smaller, which means more managable. We had 50 kids from the preschool program "graduate" into the elementary program for this year, and that makes a big difference on numbers. But the morning went really smoothly.

We ate lunch at church, then Ryan asked if he could get his picture taken with the cutout of Axl the Axolotl  - his favorite Bible Buddy for the week. There is a rule that the kids aren't allowed on the stage near the decorations because we share them with other churches and don't want anything to break. But.....after lunch there was no one in the worship center, so we went in and got pictures with Axl. Now the boys want to "sneak" a picture every day this week!



The afternoon went by super quickly. I'm in charge of a group of 6 year old boys and they were so well behaved. I think I'm going to love my week with them. Wesley and Ryan did a great job in their groups too.  In fact, they did so well that we hung around after VBS was over and played on the playground for a little while.


You'd think that after almost nine years, the kid would know how to go down a slide properly.
So that was our day in a nutshell. Hope tomorrow is just as good.



No comments: