Every year I try to make a gingerbread house with the boys. Well, "make" is kind of an ambitious word. I buy one of the kits that comes with a per-assembled house, frosting and the candy already included. I usually save it until Christmas Eve day because it gives the boys something to do while waiting for the festivities to start.
This year there was no waiting until Christmas Eve. Ryan started bugging me about a gingerbread house the day after Thanksgiving. Every time we went to Target (which we do a couple of times a week) or the grocery store Ryan would ask for one. Every. Single. Time.
I finally broke down and bought one Monday night. I reasoned that since there was no school today, the boys could take it Grandma and Grandpa H.'s house and do it there (and maybe it would keep them busy for a little bit.)
Monday night when we returned from Target, Ryan asked if he could do the gingerbread house. Tuesday after school he asked if he could do the gingerbread house. Tuesday night he asked if he could do the gingerbread house - and when I said that he was taking it to Grandma and Grandpa's the next day, he put the bag by the door so I wouldn't forget it.
This morning Ryan woke up early, as my children usually do on days they have off school. "Are we supposed to be at Grandma and Grandpa's yet? Are we late? I want to do the gingerbread house," Ryan said.
I dropped the boys off at Grandma and Grandpa's at 8:35. The first thing Ryan asked was if they could do the gingerbread house. Grandma managed to hold him off until 10:00.
Wesley helped decorate it, but I have a feeling this was mostly Ryan and Grandma's project. I didn't ask how long the construction took, however, I do know that as soon as they finished decorating it Ryan wanted to know if he could eat it. Grandma managed to get him to wait so Duane and I would have a chance to see it. But guess what Ryan wanted for dessert tonight?
No comments:
Post a Comment