Sunday, November 11, 2012

A New Day

Nineteen days until we close on our current house. Nineteen days. Nineteen days. That's going to have to be my mantra for the next couple of weeks.

I've heard it said that moving is one of the most stressful things a marriage can go through. For the most part things have gone pretty smoothly for us - mostly because Duane is the most calm and steady person I know. I do the freaking out while he stays calm and talks me out of my tree. It works for us.

But even the most calm and steady person can't be that way all the time. Especially not when the boxes are piling up all over the house, and we still haven't heard about the appraisal and the things we need to fix before the house is sold aren't going as smoothly as would be nice and we are both working full time and still trying to be there for each other and keep things at least a little bit normal for the kids. That's a recipe for the perfect storm. The set up for a fight over stupid stuff where we both yell and I end up sobbing and a general basket case, convinced I am a horrible wife and mother (not from anything Duane said, but from my own insecurities.)

But today is a new day. Duane never holds a grudge. I feel more human. We are optimistic about the repairs wrapping up today. We have friends who are going to store a bunch of the boxes that are overtaking our entry way and kitchen so that maybe I'll no longer feel we are being buried alive by our stuff. I have a worship service to look forward to this morning that I am sure will inspire and reinvigorate me. I have the support and love of my wonderful family and friends. As Pete the Cat would say "It's all good." I just need to remind myself of that sometimes.

And in nineteen days we'll move into Grandma and Grandpa's. The packing will be done. The repairs will be done. We'll settle into a new routine - and in twenty days I'll start to stress about Christmas ;-)


1 comment:

Pam said...

It's stressful enough without it being a holiday season and having the worry about the appraisal so don't worry about losing it sometimes. I lose it and I don't have any of those things going on!! I cleared out the basement room and we have LOTS of space so let's get it out of your way today! :)