Saturday, May 09, 2009

Back to Reality

Duane and I are trying to re-adjust to being home and parents again. We stole away to the Inn at Honey Run for a couple of nights to celebrate five years of marriage.

It's funny, in my first marriage, five years felt kind of like a life sentence. We went away for our five year anniversary and fought a lot of the time. Needless to say, we did not make it our six year anniversary. Five years with Duane has passed in the blink of an eye. I can't believe so much time has passed already. There has never been a moment of doubt that he is the man I will happily spend the rest of my life with, and when that time is over, I'll wish we still had more days to share.

The inn was a perfect escape for us. It's set in the middle of Amish country, so we had to travel many twisty back roads to get there. I think the best part of the trip there was actually following the detour. We kind of missed the official detour, and ended up right in front of the big "Road Closed" sign. There was a little white farmhouse sitting on the side of the road. on a "T" that lead to a dirt road. The poor people who lived there must have been sick and tired of people like us missing the detour signs, because in their yard was a big, white piece of poster board, with "alternative" detour directions on it. We jotted down their directions and began to drive. After a couple of minutes, Duane began to laugh. "You do realize we are following directions that were written in black magic marker and stuck in someones front yard, right?" I guess it was kind of funny, but it worked!

We arrived at the inn to find a room that was just perfect for us. There was wonderful, relaxing music playing on the CD player, we had 2 HUGE windows that looked into the trees, there were birds in the bird feeder on the window and you could hear horse and buggies going by on the road below. I even got to take a steaming hot bath without a three year old dumping toys in the tub or yelling "Mommy! Where are you? Let me in!" if I shut the door. Heaven.

We ate too much delicious and filling Amish style food. We wandered through antique stores and country craft stores. We read books. We napped. We dressed up and had a delicious dinner at the inn on our anniversary. It was wonderful!

The boys stayed with Grandma and Grandpa P. while we were gone. They had a great time too. While we were relaxing and sleeping in, Grandma and Grandpa were getting up early, going to the park, giving the boys baths, having picnics, watching Dora and all the stuff we normally do. I can't thank them enough for giving Duane and I a couple of days to just be a couple (instead of parents) again.

We picked the boys up yesterday afternoon and then spent the evening at Grandma W.'s celebrating Mother's Day. It was there that I started wondering how many trips to the emergency room are in our future. Let me clarify, I started wondering how many trips to the emergency room with Ryan are in our future! We were barely there an hour before I had removed a penny from his mouth, removed a ping pong style ball from his mouth, and he had shattered a lamp. He's going to keep us busy alright. I think the lamp shattering was the moment I realized that the vacation really was over!










1 comment:

Beth said...

What a lovely post! Congrats on 5 years...I celebrate 15 this year! As for emergency room visits...so far with my 3rd (who just turned 5) we have had 2...stitches in the chin was the 1st, the 2nd was a shovel to the head that lead to a concussion and stitches..I swear she is going to break a bone this summer!