Friday, April 07, 2006

Bad Report Card

I went to the doctor yesterday for my first appointment since my initial post partum exam. I saw the nurse practitioner and left feeling like a kid with a bad report card.

Do you know your cholesterol? No.
Do you take a multivitamin? No.
Do you take calcium supplements? No.
Do you drink? Yes.
Do you drink caffeine? Yes.
Do you exercise? No.

At least I could say I don't smoke! So the nurse told me that, although my weight isn't "too bad," I'm still carrying baby weight and could lose a little, that I should get a vitamin and calcium supplement into my day, and that I NEED to exercise.

I know I sound like I'm making excuses, but when am I supposed to find time to exercise? I already get up @ 6:00 every day, work full time and if I'm lucky get a couple hours of time in with Wesley before he goes to bed. I've decided that some of the things I do on a daily basis must count as exercise. Let's see, I lift a 17 pound baby - often! I do repeated 12 ounce curls (I have to get that caffeine somehow). I run lots of errands -yeah, they're in my car, but it's still running. I play soccer with Wesley. Well, we really just roll the stuffed soccer ball around on the floor. Once Wesley starts crawling more than a couple of feet at a time, I can count the time I spend chasing him as exercise.

OK, I guess maybe I do need a bit of exercise. Duane and I are going to try and go walking at a park a couple times a week, and one of my friends at work suggested we walk around the building during part of our dinner hour. Guess that's the only way I'll squeeze it in for now. Someone send me some motivation!!!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Come play softball with us on Friday nights.

Oh-- and I'm really glad I don't have your doctor. Because if you're having issues you can multiply them by about 60 pounds for me. Maybe my doctor didn't mention it to me because I'm a lost cause *smile*

But cheer up-- spring is right around the corner. Everyone is more active when the weather is nice. Soon you can take strolls with Wesley... just what the doctor ordered. Exercise that is so fun you don't know you're doing it!