Thursday, September 10, 2015

Just Call Him Cinderella

Mornings in our household can get a little crazy, the same way they do on any weekday morning in a house that has school age kids.  It's not that we are rushed, trying to get out the door, but more that the kids have chores to do before school.  And by "chores" I mean make their beds, double check their backpacks, put ice packs in their lunchboxes, make their breakfasts, that kind of thing.

This morning was one of those days when I had to a lot of nagging reminding the kids to get their chores done.  When Wesley came downstairs I asked, "Did you make your bed?"

"Yes."

"Teeth brushed?"

"Yes."

"Don't forget you have cat jobs this week."

Wesley gave a little sigh, but went downstairs to take care of the cats. When he came back up I said, "Thank you. I left you your part of the dishwasher to unload." He and I share that job now.

After that was done, Wesley went to pet Lucy. As he snuggled with her on the couch I said, "Ok, just a couple of minutes and then you'll have to make your breakfast."

Apparently that was the straw that broke the camel's back and Wesley exploded.

"All I do around here anymore is jobs! Every morning and every night! I bet I'll have to jobs all weekend too!"

At this point I reminded Wesley that he earns his allowance by doing his jobs, just like his dad and I earn money at our jobs.

"Yeah, but you guys only have one job to do! I have to do everything!"

You'll be happy to know that I managed not to burst out laughing when he said that.  Never mind the fact that I had already taken the dog for her morning walk, made the bed, put dishes away, scooped the litter boxes, got the meat out of the freezer for dinner, and was busy checking PTA emails and writing the grocery list/menus for the week. I only have one job, you know. Who am I to laugh at some tween angst?  But I did decide to be nice and make him a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast. I should have given him a bill for it.

No comments: