Friday, June 07, 2013

Lead Him Not Into Temptation

I can always say "no" when the kids ask me for toys. I'm at good at saying "no" in those instances. I am not nearly as good at saying "no" when the boys ask me for books - especially not when they are asking for a book of Bible stories. Which is how we ended up with a new book the other night.

Wesley found this book of Bible stories at Kohls and he read it in the store and all the way home. He decided that his favorite story of the ones he had read, was that of Joseph and his many colored coat, but when I asked what story Wesley wanted to read to me at bedtime, he chose Adam and Eve.


I'd like to think we made a pretty cozy picture of (almost) suburban bliss. Wesley, Ryan and I in our pajamas, sitting together on Wesley's bed as he read out loud.

Things started out that way, but then Wesley got to the part of the story where the snake is tempting Eve with the fruit from the forbidden tree. Just as Wesley was about to read the sentence where Eve takes a bite, Ryan's hand flew up to his ears and he started calling out, "No! No! Don't do it! Don't!" Ryan actually hid his face while Wesley read about Adam and Eve's fall from grace.

I can't believe he got so worked up about it. If the kid can't handle Adam and Eve, I think there are a few other Bible stories we should stay away from for awhile.

No comments: