Saturday, June 18, 2011

Baking Queen

I love to bake and I do it often. It relaxes me when I'm stressed out (except for the occasional time the recipe just doesn't turn out well) and it just makes me happy.

Today I was in the kitchen working on a cherry pie for Father's Day dessert tomorrow night - it's my dad's favorite. Ryan decided to help me so we got his stool out and he helped by adding the ingredients to the bowl for the crust, rolling the crust out and pouring the cherries in.

Now I don't know how many of you bake with your kids, but baking with your kids is an experience. It's rewarding time with them, it's often - but not always - fun and I believe it helps them feel comfortable in the kitchen and learn important life skills. However, when you bake with your children, the final product is often, shall we say less visually appealing than it might otherwise be.  Especially when it's a two year old trying to spread out pie dough and pinch the edges of it.


So my dad's Father's Day dessert isn't going to be the prettiest pie he's ever had. But I bet it's going to be one of the best. I'm sure Ryan will attest to it's greatness.

While we were baking, Wesley came into the kitchen and said it smelled great. "You're probably the best pie maker ever," he told me.

"Oh, I doubt that," I said. "I think Grandma H. is the best pie maker ever."

"Well, you are the best baker in the whole entire world!" Wesley insisted. "You bake all the time. You should totally be a baker when you grow up!"

No comments: