Saturday, February 07, 2009

Love of My Life


I know Valentine's Day isn't for another week, but I was inspired by a post on 3 Little Snaps to tell you a little (gush) about Duane.

Of course the hard part about this is knowing where to start. Most of you know that I was married once before. All I can say is the difference between that marriage and my marriage to Duane is like night and day. Duane and I were friends for a long time before we ever thought of each other romantically. Duane was one of a group of friends that helped me through the breakup of my first marriage. They helped me move my things, they took me out when I needed to smile and they listened as I cried. I don't know what I would have done without all these folks (Duane, Keith & Cheryl G., Cheryl C., Rusty & Katie, Ray & Krystal, Brett, Rick & Sasha, and Bruce). Somewhere along the way, I realized that my heart would start to race when Duane walked in the room and that I automatically looked for him in the group.

When Duane and I started dating, it was like slipping into your favorite pair of jeans. By that I mean, it just felt so right, so comfortable, that I wondered why I had ever, figuratively, worn anything else. Being with him was like a natural extension of myself. Duane is romantic and kind and funny. On our first date, he brought my mom flowers (I was temporarily living with my mom and stepdad.) He started going to my church with me, where everyone welcomed him with open arms.

Before Duane proposed to me, he took my father out to dinner to ask permission to marry me. He's said he's never been so nervous in his entire life! My dad thought it was too soon for me to remarry, but said it was ultimately my choice. Duane also asked permission from my mom and stepdad. He was a class act the whole way.

I remember two comments that were made on our wedding day. My dad and I were dancing and he asked me if this one was "going to stick." I remember telling him that it absolutely would. I had no doubt in my mind. I also remember a friend telling me that if I smiled any bigger, my face would split open.

Duane and I are going to celebrate our 5 year anniversary in May. Those 5 years have gone by in the blink of an eye (where the 5 years of my first marriage drug on and on). Every day Duane inspires me to be a better, kinder person. He's the father I dreamed of my children having, the friend I've always needed in my life, the man who understands me, loves me and yes, still makes my heart race. If I'm having a bad day, just hearing his voice, or getting an email from him calms me immediately. He always puts me and the boys first in his life. He loves God and his family. My in-laws are wonderful people I am so proud to be related to.

It's so nice to know that there is love out there that is worth waiting for. When my first marriage ended, I never expected that I could be as happy as I am now. Sometimes, I regret the years we didn't have together and the experiences I wish had been with him instead, but I treasure every moment we have to make new memories. I hope that when Wesley and Ryan grow up, they are the kind of men their daddy is - kind, loving, smart, romantic, and funny. In short, the love of my life.

2 comments:

us said...

Yeah I am so happy for you Heather.... how come you didnt mention the fact that I almost gave birth at your wedding to him! LOL just kidding!!!!

Kelsey said...

It's nice to read about someone being so happy - especially in times that are very unhappy for many.

I had no idea you'd been married before - it must not have been right because it definitely sounds like you've found your perfect match in Duane.