Tuesday, June 21, 2016

The Beans Have Spilled

Remember how a few weeks ago I wrote that we had tickets to take the kids to see Weird Al, but weren't going to tell them yet? Well, the beans have officially been spilled.

Wesley has been obsessing about this concert. All we hear over and over is "I wish we could see Weird Al on July 8th."  The thing is, he isn't going to be here on July 8th. He's in town on July 6th, so we've been able to say - honestly - that we were not going to see him on the 8th. However, he's working himself up about the whole thing so much that Duane and I decided that the next time he brought it up, we'd have to tell him.

The topic came up at dinner tonight, again, focusing on July 8th and couldn't we do whatever it is we are doing that night on the 7th instead, so we could go to the concert.

Me: Wesley, I am going to be very honest with you and tell you exactly why we are not going to see Weird Al on July 8th.

I went and got my iPad, while Duane pulled up the tickets on his phone. I went to the tour page and pointed my finger to July 8th.

Me: He isn't even in town on July 8th. He's in Cincinnati that night.

Duane: We don't live in Cincinnati. We aren't driving to Cincinnati to see him on the 8th.

Wesley stared at the page confused.

Wesley: But I thought he was coming here on the 8th.

Me: He's not.

Then I scrolled up the page a couple of dates.

Me: But he is going to be here on the 6th and we already have four tickets for our family to go.

Duane showed him the tickets on his phone.

Me: So that's why we won't be seeing him on the 8th. You can quit asking.

It took a few minutes for it to sink in for Wesley. He had been so fixated on the date that for a while all he could process was that he wasn't going to see Weird Al on the 8th. But then a smile started to spread across his face.

Duane: We've had these tickets since February or March. Long before you even knew he was going to come here.

More grinning, and the excited noises were beginning to make their way out.

Duane: And like it or not, we're buying you a concert t-shirt.

Wesley: (while running around the house): I want a bunch of shirts so I can wear one to school every day!

Duane: Well, they're pretty expensive so we'll buy you one and if you want another one or two or eight, you have to buy them with your money.

Now we only have to listen to the daily countdown and not the moping around. 

No comments: