Monday, May 02, 2016

Do I Have To?

Last week one of the staff members at the kids' school stopped me as I was dropping the kids off.

Mrs W.: I just wanted to tell you that your son has a lovely singing voice.

Me: Ryan?  (my immediate assumption since I have heard this from the choir director at church)

Mrs. W:  No, Wesley. I am working with the kids to put together a group to sing the Star Spangled Banner at the 4th and 5th grade basketball game.  I asked him to do it after hearing him sing. He just said, "Mrs. W, do I have to?" When I told him he didn't, he said, "Then I'd rather not."  But I just wanted to tell you how nice he sounded.

Me: Thank you.

Really? The kid who did stand up comedy in the preschool talent show and danced like no one was watching in the school talent show when he was in kindergarten AND sang a solo in the Christmas musical at church didn't want to be part of a group singing in front of the school? 

I casually mentioned it to him but he said he just wasn't interested in it, so I didn't push. But it's nice to know someone else thinks my son is talented. 

No comments: