Friday, October 09, 2015

Dream a Little Dream

Ryan is such an animal lover. He adores dogs and cats, and luckily they seem to love him right back. Even our old lady cat, Sadie, is amazingly patient with Ryan when he decides she needs attention.


This morning Ryan came downstairs in tears. "Mom, I feel bad," he sobbed.

I immediately started rearranging my day in my mind, trying to determine what would need done if I had to stay home. "Oh buddy! Where don't you feel well? Are you sick?"

"I had a dream about Sanders," Ryan sniffed as he climbed on my lap. "And I just miss him so much."

And right then, my heart broke a little. Not just because I still miss Sanders (our cat that died almost three years ago) but because Ryan was hurting so deeply. I decided my shower could wait and we spent several minutes on the couch looking through pictures of our best cat ever. Then Ryan went and got the box of Sanders ashes and sat with it on the couch until he felt better. 

I hope the animal kingdom realizes what a friend it has in my seven year old.


No comments: